A gas explosion in Lagos on Thursday morning has killed two children and left twenty three others severely burnt, Lagos state emergency response reported.
The gas explosion which happened at Aduke street, off Ojo Road, Ajegunle, Apapa, Lagos has burnt 2 children to death and left 23 other severely burnt, Lagos State Emergency Management Agency (LASEMA) director-general Dr Femi Oke-Osanyintolu confirmed.
“Upon arrival at the scene of the incident, it was discovered that a gas cylinder store had exploded as a result of gas leakage,” Oke-Osanyintolu said.
Further investigations revealed that the fire was ignited as a result of a call being made by an unidentified resident which escalated to other nearby shops and a bungalow behind the shops, he said.
The second body met at the scene was identified as Damilare Afolabi and the remains were bagged by the LRT and handed over to the family, Oke-Osanyintolu said.
“Unfortunately, two children (male and female) lost their lives and multiple burn casualties were recorded; a total of Twenty Three (23) in number,” Oke-Osanyintolu said.
The casualties were evacuated to the Burn Unit of government-owned Gbagada General Hospital and the entire area has been cordoned with a post-disaster assessment ongoing.